Sunday, April 1, 2007

Hot Cross Buns

I had a coffee with a friend V last Monday, at Circular Quay. I love having Mondays off. Circular Quay, sitting by the water, is one of the best ways to spend a Monday morning. While sipping our flat whites, we somehow got onto the topic of Hot Cross Buns. V mentioned that in the past, her family only ate them on Good Friday. And then without thinking, I voiced out loud to V: "why do we have hot cross buns?"

Her jaw dropped. I realised as soon as I registered her reaction. Of course, the cross symbolises the cross, after all the real reason for Easter. So how come when we think of Easter, most of us think of chocolate, the Easter bunny and having a long weekend? My thoughtless question was the perfect epitome of how the meaning of Easter has been lost. Its a lot like what we did to Christmas.

No comments: