Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Day 1 of the Otago Rail Trail Cycle Trip

6th April 2007 - Clyde to Omakau

The 5 Aussies headed out from Queenstown about 9am, and we met SL in Clyde at the Bike Hire place - Trail Journeys. Some adjustments followed and I decided against putting on my own bike seat, although I had the clipless pedals attached. This proved to be my downfall (see below). 45 minutes later, the six of us set off using the river path, which was full of turns and dips, and was where I fell off twice (in 9kms). Partly due to being clipped in, and not being able to put my foot down when I lost my balance.



Riding out of Clyde

About 20kms into the ride, we had settled into a pattern of riding - SL and SH were in front, their fitness levels serving them well. K and I took up the back, and J and M usually rode with one of us. Gradually the scenery started to change, and we saw the flat plains give way to gorges and hills and valleys in the distance. Being an old rail trail, the route is mostly very flat so we didn't have to climb steep hills, luckily.


Chatto Creek Tavern

We had lunch at the Chatto Creek tavern, which served up reassuringly large portions. We were surprised by the fruit in the chicken wraps, however. Then onto bikes again for the last hour of our day's ride. There was a slight incline called Tiger Hill and it was very slight but long and relentless. I was lagging behind and starting to feel very tired and sore. J rode with me and said encouraging things, and I took short breaks, as much to rest my shoulders as my legs. Just when I thought my legs couldn't take much more, we reached the apex of Tiger Hill and coasted downhill for a few kilometres. Its amazing how quickly my spirits picked up then! Not long after, we came into Omakau where we were staying the night. I have never been so happy to see a hotel in my life! The Omakau Commercial Hotel was humble, quaint and we were welcomed by the very friendly, helpful hosts. A hot shower, an icepack and a glass of Speights (local beer) later, I was much more cheerful.

No comments: